Friday, May 9, 2008

Arrival in Poland




So I must admit the idea of creating and blog and actually posting in it seemed a bit challenging seeing how lazy I can get. However, I am going to attempt this difficult task and hopefully the results will be positive. On a more serious note this whole journey to Poland was one that I really was not sure if I wanted to make. Many things in my life have changed so I was just not sure how returning after a three year absence would feel. As many of you know I converted to Judaism; twice to be exact, with the final conversion being the G-d willing last one. I mean how much blood and how many paper clips can a guy possibly endure. In America people talk about Polish anti-semitism quite candidly, and honestly this is the topic that is of most interest to me. I hope that through this journey I will be able to find myself as a Polish Jew and really be able to place myself in the patchwork of world Jewry, because up to now I have had a hard time really fitting in. Hopefully once I learn about practices and traditions of Polish Judaism I will feel more secure in my practice. On a lighter note, Asa and I arrived into Warsaw yesterday. The new airport is really not that pretty however its much better than the old box that Okecie had for years. Essentially we collected our baggage and grabbed a taxi for the Warszawa Centralna Railway Station. In no time did the taxi driver start complaining about life in Poland. Welcome home I guess? We bought our tickets to Krakow and found a luggage storage place at the station. We forgot that the storage office had a half hour break right when we wanted to pick up our stuff to get onto the train. The whole situation stunk of communism that somehow the one giving a certain service was more important than the costumer himself. My first screaming match in Poland because of bad service. First battle won. During our wait for the train to Krakow we had a chance of making a pit stop at Warsaw's only functioning shul. Even had a kosher meal there. The trip and reaction deserve an entry of their own. Shul starts at 19:30. If you don't know what that means shame on you! We supposed to be davening at the Remu Shul in the Kazimierz district and then hopefully we're going to eat at Rabbi Boaz Pash's. I am greatly anticipating this and hope to have a positive taste in what seems to be Judenfrei Poland.




1 comment:

D Chudnow said...

hey, keep posting, I am very excited to read about your travels. Blogs are awesome! haha.